Policy A.D. 69 on Web Accessibility Posted
The new policy A.D. 69 on Web site accessibility has been approved and posted as of Aug 2, 2011
The main points are
* Applies to pages "used to conduct core University business or academic activities" and coursework is mentioned. Personal pages are exempt
* Applies to pages published Aug 2, 2009 or later (2 years old or less). Older pages need to be updated upon request. The policy strongly recommends accessifying pages and services relating to core institutional information and services.
* Accessibility statements should be posted, even on older pages. See Policy AD 69 for text
* Guidelines are WCAG 2.0, Level AA (see links below)
* Pages or services can be exempt ONLY if accessibility is not technologically possible or extraordinarily difficult
Obviously, compliance cannot be immediate. There are plans to offer additional training opportunities beginning in the Fall. In addition, a group will be working to train a core group of indviduals to help in various units in Penn State.
We are also hoping to expand the resources of this website beyond those already available, including a short guide to WCAG 2.0
* http://webstandards.psu.edu/accessibility/wcag2 (Penn State)
* http://webaim.org/standards/wcag/checklist (Web AIM Checklist)
* http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/ (Official Guidelines)
If you have not had a chance to think of an accessibility implementation timeline, this is a perfect time to do so.