Link with Kaltura
Note: Recorded Zoom files are now linked to the Penn State Kaltura service. Additional video editing options are available through that service.
Zoom recordings are saved in the MP4 video format. These can be captioned and posted in a number of locations. Additional information about caption options, including live captions, can be found on the Zoom.us accessibility page.
Live Caption Vendors
Live captions with human transcribers are recommended for individuals needing an accommodation. This system has more usable accuracy than automatic transcriptions.
See the Live Captions page for suggested vendors and additional information. Penn State does not support centralized live captions at this time.
The Knowledge Base article Zoom: Identifying and Admitting Guests (KB0015802) discusses how to allow non-Penn State users, including live captionists, sign language interpreters or other assitstants, access to a Penn State Zoom room.
The option to include automatic transcriptions in Zoom Cloud Recordings is available for Penn State Zoom accounts. All output should be edited for accuracy.
Note: This option is available only with the Cloud Recording option.
Enable Transcript Option
To enable this option
- Log in into the Zoom at Penn State page with your Penn State Access Account and ID yo view your Zoom profile.
- Click the Settings link in the left menu.
- Click the Recording tab on the top of the Settings screen.
- Make sure the Cloud recording option is checked.
- Check the option for Audio Transcript beneath the Advanced cloud recording settings. Future recordings in rooms that your account owns will include a transcript.
See the Zoom Using audio transcription for cloud recordings documentation for details.
Edit and Display Transcript
The following options are available to edit and display a transcript
- Edit and embed transcript file within Zoom
- Download and edit the transcript file. Time codes can be added via YouTube or other service. This option would work well if the video file is intended for YouTube.
Zoom has a list of keyboard shortcuts posted on its web site.
Users on a Screen Reader
Screen reader users with visual impairments report being able to use most Zoom functions. Note that some users may prefer the Zoom iphone app.
Students or instructors who need to report an accessibility concern can send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.